My Fijian Adventure - Namotu Island

Namotu Island (shown above) is located between Tavarua and Malolo Lailai. It features some world class surf spots that are a bit more "user friendly" than Tavarua: Namotu Left, Wilkes Pass, and Swimming Pools. Namotu was always the first place we checked (when looking for surf) and I surfed all 3 spots. Wilkes was probably my favorite (because it was one of the only places I could go right). However, I wasn't able to surf it everyday because of the strong currents and bad wind. The wave does almost a full 180 degree turn as it wraps around the reef... and it just peels forever.

On a side note, I almost stayed at Namotu Island. Unfortunately (or fortunately for my mom), it was fully booked. I think it would have been pretty cool to stay on such a tiny island. Although, I guess some people might get a bit "stir crazy" if they can't leave.

I love the ocean colors in this photo. During low tide, our boat driver had to drive a much longer distance to avoid the middle reef. 

No comments:

Post a Comment